About Continuing Education at Prairie Lakes
Value of Continuing Education (CE).
Prairie Lakes serves as a regional certification validator for our member library directors. In order to participate in a public library system as a member, each library director must apply for and maintain the appropriate level public librarian certification.
Where to Find CE Opportunities
Prairie Lakes partners with our neighboring regional systems for most of our local CE events, but other systems across the state also put on some amazing events.
Some of the more popular sources include:
- Southeastern Wisconsin Continuing Education (SEWI)
- Nicolet Federated Library System’s CE Page
- Wisconsin Trustee Training Week
- PLLS occasionally hosts local CE events. Keep an eye on our calendar.
How Certification & Recertification Work
DPI issues certificates to public librarians, per Wis. Stat. sec. 43.09(1). Qualifications for certification are based on education, training, and experience.
Certification for public library directors is required in Wisconsin to ensure that the public libraries in the state are administered by highly qualified library personnel.
The statutory grade level required of a director depends upon the population of the municipality(s) that established that library.
Visit DPI for Instructions, Forms, & More
- How to Apply for Certification
- What to Send (includes fillable forms for download)
- Public Library System Continuing Education Validators
PLLS’ Deputy Director serves as its CE Validator:
Steve Platteter, email@example.com, 608-868-2872
- Summary of Certification Requirements
- Certification Courses and Institutions
- and so much more for library directors
***As of March 2020, all applications for public librarian certification must be submitted via email. See the accordion below of details on how to apply for first-time and renewal certificates.